Primeval S3 Ep6: Turkeys Of Doom

This series is rapidly becoming a showcase of non sequiturs which in dramatic terms means the use of story elements which serve no purpose other than the writer thinking they were cool. Having the cast dress up in 30′s cocktail garb, get Connor and Abby dancing to an old 78 while Danny reads something from an old paper, then use a bit of that as the opening teaser followed by ’8 Hours Earlier’… but why would they dress up when they’re hiding out from Christine Johnson’s goons? (And what is the point of the Johnson character anyway? We know that Diabolical Helen is driven by knowledge of Humanity’s fate in the far future, but what is Christine Johnson’s motivation? – civil service advancement? A higher salary and bigger office? We’ve seen how her goons went into the future and tried to grab the ARTEFACT, but…why? How? What’s her gameplan? What’s the fudging point of this storyline??)

Also, difficult to miss is the proliferation of scenes where Danny gets to punch, club, kick or otherwise stomp his way through to a solution. Can’t help thinking that Cutter would have gone about things differently (and you have to wonder, did Dougie Henshall get wind of the way the series was going, the upping of the action quotient, and decide it was time to bail?)

My favourite example of gonzo idiocy this time was when they climb out of the car after the collision and Danny tells Abby and Sarah to leg it back to the house – this was after they drove at speed off through the forest, chased by the Big Bird, so they must have been at least a mile away. But off they go, through countryside where more of the carnivorous Big Birds are wandering. Pure, gold-plated gonzo idiocy.

Actually, I hope that none of the cast or crew of Primeval chance upon this blog because they might well get upset. Suffice to say that I know that none of them are to blame – they have a job to do, and the script is in hands other than their own. Sadly, it appears that the writers have neither the instinct for nor understanding of science fiction. I’ve read more convincing stories in the Dandy.

1. Primeval S3 Ep 4: The Call Of The Mild
  2. Primeval S3 Ep5: Wince And Wince Again
  3. Primeval Season 3: What The Hell Happened? – Updated
  4. Primeval Season 3 Episode 3: Why It Sucked
  5. Primeval Season 3: A Brief Summation

1. Gary Gibson Says:

May 4th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I must admit losing Dougie Henshall was a bad idea, and since his departure it’s become clear just how much of the show he was carrying. He really made the series for me, but perhaps it’s best after all he bailed when he did; I can’t really see him being pushed, given his reputation as an actor and the success of the series up to that point, so the only conclusion can be jumped.

Unfortunately, the dictates of Saturday night television effectively requiring a weekly monster, there’s not been any opportunity to investigate an area that’s much more interesting – the future, and what happened to the human race, whose fate is more than slightly hinted at. Perhaps you should put together an idea for a TV show yourself?

May 4th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I know what you mean about Saturday night pop-TV dictates, but it shouldnt mean wholesale dumbing down. As for future shenanigans, if you look at the wikipedia page for Primeval Episodes, you`ll see that 2 of those remaining are concerned with adventuring into the future.
    As for me doing up a TV show, I do have a notion for one, kinda based on some of my Alt.Scotland stories. Now, if I had the time…

3. Primeval fan Says:

May 6th, 2009 at 3:57 pm

The only bad thing about this episode was the directing and sound.

May 6th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

So you’re not bothered with the inconsistencies, the lapses in logic, the way characters behave like idiots, and the flat, unexciting dialogue, then? I’m not saying that its wrong to get enjoyment out of TV scifi, but why settle for stuff that’s so badly written?

5. Primeval fan Says:

May 8th, 2009 at 7:11 pm

I didn’t notice any inconsistencies, lapses in logic or flat diologue (I couldn’t hear most of it due to bad sound editing though). Could you give examples?

May 8th, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I commend your attention to my previous posts on the new season’s glaring plot holes. As for dialogue – well, damn, but I just deleted the episode from the box yesterday, but from memory its clear that the writers have no problem with Danny Q speaking in a continuous stream of cliches. Also, Connor and Abby have become stunning obvious in their dialogue – if you`ve got either or both of the previous series just compare – in the previous ones C & A have quite snappy speech, its lively and the actors are clearly enjoying it. With this series, the writers are substituting facial expression for bothering to actually work on the dialogue.

7. Primeval fan Says:

May 10th, 2009 at 11:31 am

I did notice a few obvious statements from Abby like “it’s got something stuck in it’s side” in the Dracorex episode. That made me laugh but I didn’t notice any cliches and Abby and Connor seem the same as before if not better than the previous seasons. Also the point of the Christine Johnson plot is going to be revealed in the finale. It’s all building up. And I can’t find any other plot holes.

8. Lolly Says:

May 17th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Hey
    I love primeval but I have noticed the 3rd series has gone downhill a bit from the previous ones
    I actually liked this episode, but a lot of it didnt really make sense to me.

9. Primeval fan Says:

May 17th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Which parts didn’t you understand? This is my least favourite series 3 episode but the other episodes are great.