Primeval Episode 8: Let's Rant! – or – Jack Must Die!

Just in case y’all are wondering, I’m recording tonight’s episode 8 for viewing tomorrow, mebbe. Meantime, me and SuperSusan are just heading off to see the new Trek movie. Ye cannae change the laws o’ physics, allegedly!

UPDATE CITY

Star Trek The Reboot was pretty good, thanks for asking. A nonstop rollercoaster of spills and thrills, with lots of not-bad witty character bits dotted through it like chocchips in a tasty croissant-type snack.

As for Primeval Episode 8, seriously, the Jack character serves no other function other than to get the team mixed up in a bit of bovver. Must admit that the future desolate London looked terrific, and the mantis Vs bat-predator smackdown was pretty good. But this is ultimately scenery and effects – the plotting, motivations and dialogue are as clodhoppingly vacuous as ever. I won’t go into exhaustive detail, other than to state if I were venturing into the vicinity of an anomaly (never mind going through one) I’d be wearing kevlar and toting a heavy-duty trank gun with an assault weapon for backup. And talking of backup – why, why, WHY did they go haring off to investigate an anomaly without taking along a squad of hefty blokes armed to the teeth?

IT….DOESN”T….MAKE….SENSE!

As for Jack The Unbearable driving a car into the anomaly so we can get to see the other side - ie behaving like a clueless fudder – well, like I said, that’s his function. So help me, I could do better plotting in my sleep. How about this – the team figure out from a captured insect that its the future on the other side so they get tooled up in an armoured personnel carrier and drive that over to the other side (after sending a mobile camera through to get some pictures – why has no-one figured that one out yet?). Once there, they venture forth for a spot of investigating and, darn it, get jumped by a pack of the batoid nasties; they get split up, one lot having to fend off the beasties with some weird weapons found in a storage facility, the others finding an underground lab along with folders of dusty notes detailing the end of the world. Unfortunately, the mantis buggers are holed up down there too so our valiant investigators use some handy chemicals to blow the underground lab, thus forcing the mantises to the surface – cue a return to the APC and thence back out of the anomaly.

Hmm, yeah, like it. Beats the hell out of the idiotic suckfest that they gave us instead.

Share and Bookmark:

2. Primeval Season 3 Episode 3: Why It Sucked
  3. Primeval Season 3: What The Hell Happened? – Updated
  4. Primeval S3 Ep 4: The Call Of The Mild
  5. Primeval Season 3: A Brief Summation

1. Primeval fan Says:

May 17th, 2009 at 9:30 am

One of the best episodes ever!

May 17th, 2009 at 9:50 am

I like the desolate future, and the mantis and the future batoid predator – the producers go to immense trouble to ensure that the monsters look good. They dont, however, seem to care whether their plots and writing make any kind of sense, like the team investigating an anomaly without backup, without any kind of body armour (apart from Becker), and armed with a shotgun and 2 pistols. If I were on the team, I wouldnt go anywhere near one of those things in anything less than kevlar and toting a heavy-duty animal tranquiliser with an assault weapon for backup. Oh, and a squad of heavily-armed troops as well.

This is what’s known as plausibility. Yet Primeval’s yawning gulf of plausible inadequacy doesn’t seem to bother you, Mr Primeval Fan, or the other legions of viewers who think that its all terrifically peachy. Why? Can you answer me that?

3. Primeval fan Says:

May 17th, 2009 at 10:48 am

Series 2 was the same, except without Becker.

I was going to ask about Star Trek BTW. It looks awesome. Yeah, Jack is used as a plot device, but it also allows us to explore the characters etc. In this instance they didn’t really need a bug like in series 2. Also Abby was not going to wait, she went all phsyco.

And I don’t think Jack will die.

May 17th, 2009 at 11:11 am

My recollection of Series 2 is somewhat different.

And as you see, I amalgamated your comments together, just for neatness. Watch out for your spelling though.

5. Primeval fan Says:

May 17th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Yeah, I didn’t know how to delete my post when I did that wierd triple post thing. What did I spell wrong?

Remember the Raptor’s in the shopping maul. No back up or anything. And no Becker.

In 2.5 they had a probe.

6. Alys Says:

May 20th, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I thought this episode could have been very good if the writers had spent more than half an hour on it. I mean, the whole ‘brother follows sister to find out what she does’ is a bit cliche and I don’t think that there are that many people in the world who would sneak after their sister because they thought she lied about the fact that she worked in a zoo. Maybe if it was some psycho boyfriend who thought she was having an affair, then yes, he would probably follow, but I found this episode rather annoying.

Can I also say that Abby’s brother is so annoying and I am glad they made him leave at the end.

Anyway, there are way too many plot-holes aswell in this series, and it is becoming a bit tiring.

(I have watched the final two episodes, in Spanish so I didn’t understand half of it, but they look a bit… rubbish. Episode 9 is mostly there as a filler, with a small amount of importance to it, although episode 10 looks quite good, and seeing the ending, they HAVE to make another series, as the cliffhanger would have made a lot of fans very angry if left there. I can’t comment on the dialogue of it, but some bits seemed a little pointless. Apart from that, episode 10 looks to be a little promising, but I wouldn’t hold my breath)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry if that acts as a spoiler to anyone.

Alys

May 20th, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Hey, Alys, thanks for posting, and for your sterling work of advance espionage. As I’ve said, its not actually hard to write a story that respects the intelligence of the viewers – but series 3 has shown that the producers would rather commit to a big spend on CGI and FX, and leave the screenwriting to hacks who don’t give a rats ass.

Trouble is that there is a loyal fanbase out there who are very patient and are willing to put up with tat, and the prog makers know this.

Sorry, would be a longer reply but feeling a bit under the wevver.

8. Alys Says:

May 21st, 2009 at 6:01 am

Yeah, maybe they are saving their money for something else… (I doubt it)

Hope you feel better.

9. Primeval fan Says:

May 22nd, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Well, I think it was a great episode.