Humanity's Fire Book 2: The Orphaned Worlds – update

Well, its like this – here I am, three and a bit chapters from yer actual, genuine end when once more I am forced to play the unwelcome host to another batch of bugs. Yup, I has caught another dose of cold or flu or writers shacklemonia or some loathsome batch of viral invaders. My head feels fuzzy as if some eager hobgoblin spent all night stuffing cotton wool behind my eyes, an unpleasant image, I know, but close to the ghastly truth. Meanwhile the throat has gone back to the wonderful, subsinus pain that was visited upon me last time.

Yeah, yeah, I know, its only a freaking cold, and as me old buddy Stew would say – it must be stress of some kind, y’know. So I’m sucking down hot tea and vile blackcurrant throat drink and halls lozenges and enough vitamin C to bring Bill Hicks back to life…so, we’ll see.

1. Fantasy Book Critic: Sage Observations Frae Glasgae
  2. Book Meme: Nearest Book

1. Qatux Says:

May 19th, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Great that The Orphaned Worlds is coming on so well. Sorry you are suffering.

Echinacea works for me. I use the ticture, great in hot water. Also this spray version is brill and tastes good too.

Get well soon

May 19th, 2009 at 10:32 pm

thanks for the tips – I already got echinacea and vitC on permanent standby, along with mutlivit as well. I dont mind unwellness so long as my brain is working!

3. Primeval fan Says:

May 20th, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Get well soon!

May 20th, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Going down to the doctors on Friday – see if I get prescribed a dollop of jollop.

5. Jan Harald Says:

May 21st, 2009 at 9:03 am

Hi. First off, as a Norwegian I must say it’s fun reading to se that we’ve survived the intersterstellar expansion… ;) As a side-comment, regarding the names: I recognize the some the names as clearly Scandinavian, but I feel I have to mention the name “Solvjeg” – this is usually written “Solveig” ;)

But I must say I love your Story. And you are now in my bookshelf, along with the great writings of Peter F. Hamilton, Neal Asher and Ian M, Banks… And eagerly awaiting the next books… Do you have a aprox date for when book two will be available?

Best of luck ridding yourself of that cold! Cheers from Norway.

May 21st, 2009 at 10:11 am

Hei, Jan, and thanks for giving me the best medicine, a readers approval! And thanks for the heads-up on spelling – always welcome. I hope my poor attempt at depicting a kind of weird, Scottish-Scandic-Russo mishmash came across as entertaining at least – Americans have saved the galaxy plenty of times, so I reckoned it was northern Europe’s turn, eh?

As for the emergence of book 2, currently it is scheduled for next spring but being a tad late in delivery that might be revised. But I shall post a firmer date once I know. In the meantime, I’ve been pondering about some kind of teaser in the interim, something like either a posted extract, or maybe a little pamphlet giveaway, or even an audio extract. I`ll have to talk this over with my editor, and keep you readers in the loop too.

7. Jan Harald Says:

May 21st, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I couldn’t agree more! The Americans have had their turn, and I think the Scottish-Scandic-Russo combo is an entertaining thought. ;)

An extract from the upcoming book would be great. That is always a good way of keeping us hungry for more…

8. Primeval fan Says:

May 22nd, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Are you a famous author?

May 22nd, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Not famous, not yet. I`m a kind of micro-celeb!

10. Primeval fan Says:

May 23rd, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Cool. What are your books about?

11. kovacs Says:

June 18th, 2009 at 11:27 am

just finished Seeds of Earth and had to find out when the 2nd book is likely,alas it seems it will be a wait :( .loved it , in the same league as Dan Simmons Hyperion.inspiring stuff( like to write something myself oneday)Hope it’s not a pig of a flu.Get well soon.

June 18th, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Many thanks for the kind words, just what I need at the moment as I am just working on the last chapter of the new book. Yes, sadly you`ll have to wait until about late spring next year for it, but before then I shall be posting some excerpts from the raw text of the 1st draft of Orphaned Worlds, partly as a teaser and partly as an experiment to see how it changes after revisions etc. So, stay tuned. Also, just about shrugged off the last dregs of the bug I had, preparing my system no doubt for the next one!

13. Ryfe Says:

June 22nd, 2009 at 6:35 am

Thanks for an awesome read really looking forward to the next book even though it will take a little bit extra time to get to Tasmania

June 22nd, 2009 at 10:58 am

You’re welcome, squire. Nice to know that words written in Glasgow have ended up in Tasmania. Definitely cool.

15. Neil Stevens Says:

October 24th, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I spent my recent holiday in Wales sitting on the beach reading Seeds of Earth, which I picked up as I’ve burnt myself out reading Pratchett books for two years. I must say its absolutely brilliant! I hope it gets made into a film oneday.

Really looking forward to the next book and I haven’t even finished the first one yet.

October 24th, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Why, thank you, sir! – your appreciative words are as nectar to my eyes…if I can get away with a metaphor like that. I shall soon be undertaking the final phase of copy editing after which I shall see if I can post some more excerpts from the sparkling new text,

17. Brian Says:

March 11th, 2010 at 8:08 am

come on, hurry up………lol
    hard to find a good read these days
    btw……. is it true that copper wire was a result of two scotsmen fighting over a penny…….
    greetings from Wollongong Australia

March 11th, 2010 at 10:13 am

I believe that the Scottish gentlemen to whom you refer were in fact bankers! heh heh…

Sorry about the wait for book 2, and I`m afraid it may be that the publication date could be delayed by several weeks. More on that when I know for sure.

But dont worry, it`ll be worth the wait. In the meantime, have you read Vinge’s ‘Fire Upon The Deep’ and ‘Deepness In The Sky’?