Tory-Libdem Coalition; The lie which is half a truth is ever the blackest of lies

I’ve been reading earnest, hopeful comments on Libdemblogs, essentially saying that with the Liberal Democrats in coalition the most toxic effects of Tory policy will be negated or stifled. Yeah, and I’ve got a bridge on Mars to sell you. Time for a quote from Tennyson:

“That a lie which is half a truth is ever the blackest of lies, That a lie which is all a lie may be met and fought with outright, But a lie which is part a truth is a harder matter to fight.”

As an LD party member, I feel as if I’m witnessing the ritual killing of my own party’s principles, live on TV, stage by stage, as they’re fed bit by bit into the maw of the Tory machine.

Next up, elections to the Scottish parliament in 2011, in which we see the Liberal Democrat vote collapse.

Update

Have seen a list of some of the policy items and forthcoming legislation, which all strikes me as bizarre; the phrase ‘too good to be true’ keeps chiming in my head, and I almost wonder if this is like one of those phonescams where you’re dazzled into believing that you’re on your way to a fabulous holiday at Disneyland. You give the person at the other end of the call your credit card details, and only then discover the truth that what you’ve bought is…a pig in a poke.

And what a pig.

1. Con-LibDem Coalition? – Not A Happy Bunny
  2. Tory Leader Comes Clean: No Proportional Representation For The British People
  3. The Whine Of The Wealth Creators (Warning: Political Rant)
  4. Battlestar Galactica's Last Half-Hour: An Epic Failure Of Storytelling
  5. Post-Election Blues (With Cough)

1. Gary Gibson Says:

May 11th, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I’ll have to admit I came very close to voting for them this time, and ultimately went for SNP, mainly because where I live I knew they’d get a far larger share of votes. Hindsight makes me glad I didn’t vote LD, but if I’d been living somewhere they had a chance of getting in I know I would have gone for them, unaware of what was to come.

2. David C Says:

May 12th, 2010 at 12:38 am

I voted for the LibDems and I just don’t know what to think right now.

May 12th, 2010 at 8:12 am

The word you`re looking for, David, is betrayed. Could be we’ll be hearing the phrase Judas Clegg in the days ahead. My partner Sue, a lifelong Labour voter, decided to vote LD this time, and now she is very unhappy, to put it mildly.

4. Qatux Says:

May 12th, 2010 at 2:24 pm

As you said, there has to be a government – and if the Blairite grandees didn’t want a deal….

Now the LDs will have some influence, freedom not to support everything (I think) and they retain the nuclear option if or rather when, the Tories try to push through something massively unpopular.

To stand in the way of a stable government now may be worse in the eyes of voters than to withdraw later to stop some Tory excess. In fact the existence of that option may act as a restraint.

Just my 2p, I’m not a member of any party.

May 12th, 2010 at 2:55 pm

The Tories dont have the word restraint in their vocab!

6. Jackie Says:

July 13th, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I voted Labour and in some ways am equally disappointed, all three political parties saw the Public Sector cuts as a way of paying the deficit the bankers caused. The only difference pre-elections was my belief that Labour would have been more sensible for the next 5 years ensuring a growth and recovery and then a faster approach in 4 to 5 years time dependent on recovery. Our fairish tax system means we all benefit from much needed public services and cutting them out of our lives wasn’t something I believe any of us wants. Sensible efficiency savings we’ve lived with for a very long time. I’m staying with Labour because I have to believe now that we owe us and the next generation a legacy of a welfare state, and as Labour has the ability to gain back support with the right policies they are the only political machine that can stop the new Coalition madness. I’m hoping it will be a Labour Party though that we run and not the few elites in suits.

July 14th, 2010 at 8:30 am

I can understand why you would maintain loyalty to Labour – I’ve seen it phrased as loyalty to principles, rather than those currently in charge. I have a similar problem with the Libdems. The question is this – does the grassroots of both parties have the smarts and the determination to take on and remove the rightist, pseudo-neo-liberal cabals (not quite the right word but close) that have seized control. In Labour’s case, it is dismaying that the Miliband/Balls crew (the eager enablers of Blair/Brown/Mandelson) are not being seriously challenged. Are there really no up and coming, radically minded Labour MPs or senior activists who can take them on?

In the Libdems, mutters of dissent are being heard, loudly in some quarters – Federal conference in September could prove, er, challenging for Clegg and the leadership.